Updated info on shipping your car

julzcary

Just in the process of getting some quotes to ship my car to OZ and been advised by one of the shipping agents that the duty is being reduced on 1/1/10 from 10% to 5%.

Might have a bit of bearing on whether you decide to ship it or not. I haven't decided yet!!

Julz

The jury's still out on that one!! My cars a Mercedes CLK for info.

If you mean costs purely for shipping the car, got the following quotes:

1. Just the car in a container (from home I think which is the NW) - £2,000

2. The car in a container with the remainder filled with household goods (which wont be much) - £3,000

3. Another quote of £1,500 just for the car in a container (have to take it to London)

4. Another quote of £1,345 just for the car

5. A quote of £980 for roll-on-roll off

Plus all the other add ons, which are mind boggling as to whether they apply to you or not. Not gone into all the details as yet with the companies, just trying to get some initial ideas as to whether its worth it.

My theory at the moment is that its a nice car, that I wouldnt pay the sort of money that they are in OZ! I've had it a couple of years so I know the car and only had 1 owner, but just have concerns about potential re-sell.

I'd really like to know some figures as to people that have shipped it and how much it ended up costing them.

Hope that helps.

Julz

Yeh, I'm in 2 minds, but we havent got much stuff to take with us, other than some boxes, couple of TV's, clothes and tools, so I'm thinking that by taking the car, it will offset some of the cost for taking the other bulky stuff, but hey, as I say, the jury's still out!!

Yeh, I'm in 2 minds, but we havent got much stuff to take with us, other than some boxes, couple of TV's, clothes and tools, so I'm thinking that by taking the car, it will offset some of the cost for taking the other bulky stuff, but hey, as I say, the jury's still out!!

Well you've got a pricey car,so maybe its worth it for you,im no expert,but i remember reading a thread from someone who had gone into the fine details of it all big time,he said unless its a vintage type car its just not worth it.

On the other hand i used to work with an aussie fellah who had a sideline exporting european cars into oz and said he made good money on it ,so its all a bit confusing!

Just glad i havnt got the problem,altho even my old imported 4 by 4 will be a few thou( £ ) dearer in oz,but its just not worth the hassle for me,cars are just a means of getting to work for me.

• 2 months later...

Hi Julz,

I am also looking into taking my car to Oz and was interested in your post stating the change in duty down from 10% to 5%. This would make a big difference.

I can't find this change mentioned on any offical customs websites, can you confirm where you got this info from please.

Thank you.

Victoria

Hi Victoria, I got the confirmation from customs themselves from memory, and/or from a shipping company that export mainly cars.

Anyway, the decision has been made - my car is going! Please see my other post regarding the info you need to provide to be granted the export document. Unless you've sold your house and got a job, I think it would be difficult to meet their elegibility critieria, unless you can provide the lesser point documents.

ON a separate matter, so annoyed that having just moved into a rented house for 3 weeks until we go, the whole of the side of my merc car was keyed by a yob and has now had to go in for a re-spray today - gitts :(

Hi Julz,

Thanks for your reply and so sorry to hear about your car being keyed, what a nightmare, that happened to my OH car a few years back and makes me soooo mad!

I'll probably take my car but found out we can't take OH as he only bought it last May and I think we'll be going before that. He's not happy as we'll never be able to afford to buy something similar over there.

Good luck with the move and your new life in Oz.

Could you not delay the export of your hubbys car until you've owned it more than 12 months, even if part of that time you were living in OZ - not sure whether thats possible. The only info I've seen is that you own it for 12 months before you ship it????

No, unfortunately this isn't possible. I've checked on the customs website and the car has to have been available for you to use for the whole 12 months, so you and the car have to be in the same country for this time. So it's not going to Oz :-(

It could go as a trade import but the customs would be far too high for us to afford.

Just need to sell it now.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest SteveLock

This is a great thread. Many thanks to everybody contributing here.

I always thought we'd end up selling my wife's car, because exporting it from the UK just didn't make sense on the face of it, but working the figures it might actually be worth it after all!

She's got an automatic 2007 Porsche Boxster S. The street value in the UK is probably about £30k (~A$54k?).

If we sold it and hit Australia with $54k to spend on a replacement, we'd be lucky to pick up a 9 year old car with 100k on the clock. The closest I can find in terms of spec is an approved 07 on the Porsche Australia website for $133,900 (~£74.5k!!!!).

So if she really wants the car (apparently a Mini "isn't quite the same"!) then it makes more sense for us to take the costs on the chin and take it with us.

Now begins the family debate over whether it's actually WORTH spending that much money on the damn car when a sidecar on my bike would give her exactly the same effect....

;)

Archived